At certain reinforcement levels, specific blacksmiths can ascend a weapon. There are numerous ascension paths to choose from. They can change the stat scaling of the weapon, altering its base statistics dramatically, and sometimes add an elemental damage type and/or an auxiliary effect.
- Standard +6 requires Standard +5 Weapon and Large Ember
- Standard +11 requires Standard +10 Weapon and Very Large Ember
- Titanite Shard from +1 to +5
- Large Titanite Shard from +6 to +10
- Titanite Chunk from +11 to +14
- Titanite Slab to +15
- Raw requires Standard +5 Weapon and Large Ember
- Large Titanite Shard from +1 to +5
- Divine requires Standard +5 Weapon and Divine Ember
- Divine +6 requires Divine +5 Weapon and Large Divine Ember
- Occult requires Divine +5 Weapon and Dark Ember
- Fire requires Standard +5 Weapon
- Fire +6 requires Fire +5 Weapon and Large Flame Ember
- Chaos requires Fire +5 Weapon and Chaos Flame Ember
- Magic requires Standard +5 Weapon
- Magic +6 requires Magic +5 Weapon and Large Magic Ember
- Enchanted requires Magic +5 Weapon and Enchanted Ember
- Lightning requires Standard +10 Weapon
- Crystal requires Standard +10 Weapon and Crystal Ember
- Demon Titanite from +1 to +5
The Weapon Smithbox and all blacksmiths can upgrade any intermediate level of any path not "requiring ascension" (1 to 5, 7 to 10, 12 to 15). To upgrade (on any path) past +5 (to +6) requires a blacksmith. To upgrade (on any path) past +5 (to elemental "+0") requires a blacksmith (see above). To upgrade (on any path) past +10 (to +11) requires a blacksmith. (See the list above if you are unsure of which blacksmith specializes in which elemental qualities.)
- Twinkling Titanite from +1 to +5
- Dragon Scale from +1 to +5
Weapons can be downgraded at any blacksmith, including ones unable to ascend the weapon to its present state (e.g. Andre can downgrade Lightning weapons to +10 base weapons, but he cannot ascend to Lightning.)
A +6 to +10 regular weapon can also be downgraded to a +5 regular weapon, and a +11 or higher weapon to a +10 weapon.
Please note: Downgrading any weapon to its previous state destroys the upgrading materials in the process. For example, if you downgrade a Divine Longsword back to its previous state (Longsword +5), you lose the green titanite shard that you spent to upgrade it in the first place.
In other words, the green titanite shard used to upgrade the Longsword can't simply be removed at will, and will never be refunded to you. It's "spent forever".