The Throne Watcher and Defender are fought as a pair. The Defender is a heavily armored warrior while the Watcher is lighter and more agile, both wield a shield and a greatsword.
The Watcher is fast while the Defender is slightly slower, making the fight very reminiscent of the fight with Ornstein and Smough; as such, the same strategies can be utilized.
One difference between the two fights is that both must be killed almost simultaneously. Failure to do so will result in one attempting to resurrect the other with full health which can be done indefinitely, though there is a delay before the remaining one will attempt to resurrect their fallen comrade. The player may finish off whoever is trying to resurrect the other as there is a casting time for the revival.
Both of them will buff their weapons with Lightning (Defender) and Magic (Watcher) when they reach half health. In addition, the Defender will throw away his shield once he starts buffing his sword and he will not regain it, even if he is revived.
The Watcher has lower resistances than the Defender, so a good strategy is to bring the Watcher to low health and then kill the Defender; the Watcher can be easily dispatched during the revival of the Defender.
The Watcher is usually the one to close the distance first, splitting the both of them up and allowing for easy damage. However, after losing his shield, the Defender will be much more aggressive and will close the distance much more frequently.
Both bosses tend to go for the same target, making it harder to split them up to fight them individually. This can be used as an advantage if one wishes to do so: the host or phantom, if targeted, can tank them while the other damages from behind.
|50% (Watcher) 30%(Defender)||30%||15%||30%|
|Can be Backstabbed||Can be Parried|
(Stats are from Param Studio and are not estimated)
Strike/Slash/Thrust defense are applied on top of Physical Defense.
Throne Defender Soul
Throne Watcher Soul
Ring of the Evil Eye +2
|Drop Rate||Guaranteed||Guaranteed||Guaranteed (NG+)|
- If the player has obtained the Giant's Kinship, then Nashandra will enter the arena immediately after this fight in a cinematic, and her boss fight will start. Any players or NPCs summoned that have survived the fight will remain with the host to defeat Nashandra and then Aldia.
- The Throne Watcher is left-handed, unlike most bosses in the game.
- By using a Bonfire Ascetic on the Drangleic Castle bonfire, King's Gate, Throne Watcher and Defender can be respawned.
- If a Bonfire Ascetic is used, then once the Watcher and Defender are both defeated and their souls received, Nashandra's boss fight will ensue immediately.
- Both bosses can be parried.
- The Throne Defender Set and Throne Watcher Set will be sold by Maughlin the Armorer in Majula after defeating them.