Most weapons can be upgraded on the standard path, but not all. Standard upgrades cannot be performed on weapons which are by default bound to special paths, such as Unique or Dragon weapons, or on (former) standard weapons that have been ascended to another upgrade path. However, a blacksmith can downgrade some ascended weapons back to standard (souls and materials previously expended are permanently lost).
- Standard upgrades from +0 to +5 require 9 Titanite Shards (1/1/2/2/3).
- Ascension from +5 to +6 requires the Large Ember.
- Standard upgrades from +5 to +10 require 9 Large Titanite Shards (1/1/2/2/3).
- Ascension from +10 to +11 requires the Very Large Ember.
- Standard upgrades from +11 to +14 require 7 Titanite Chunks (1/1/2/3).
- Standard upgrade from +14 to +15 requires one Titanite Slab.
Standard upgrades improve the weapon's base damage as well as the scaling it receives from Strength and/or Dexterity, unlike Raw Upgrades. For Strength and Dexterity builds, standard upgrades are the best choice in the long run for this reason. Although the Crystal path technically creates weapons with greater damage output, crystal weapons cannot be repaired and are therefore only effective in the short term; normal weapons can be used indefinitely as long as they are repaired.