The King's Ring must be worn to open each one of the three King's Gates:
- The first gate can be found in Drangleic Castle and leads to the Throne of Want. From the "King's Gate" bonfire, take the left path to find it.
- The second gate can be found in Shaded Woods and leads to Aldia's Keep. From the "Ruined Fork Road" bonfire, enter the opening in the middle and follow the path uphill to reach the gate.
- The third gate can be found in the Forest of Fallen Giants and leads to the Memory of Jeigh. From the "Cardinal Tower" bonfire, climb down the nearby ladder and cross the little bridge on the left to reach the other side of that area. Open the door (Soldier Key required) and take the left path to reach the gate.
- The ring must be equipped the first time the player opens one of the King's Gates. After that, it's not necessary to equip it again in subsequent visits, although the ring must remain in the player's inventory.
- It's not necessary (or even possible) to interact with a gate to open it; just equipping the ring (or having it in the player's inventory if the gate has already been opened) and walking into the gate is enough.
- If the ring breaks by walking into corrosive liquid or by overuse, it will still work without any negative side effects.
- The ring also gives a minimum boost to Fire damage. However, this effect is so weak that it's generally not worth using it over other rings.
- Grave Warden Agdayne will give the player his personal katana, Darkdrift, and his armor set if spoken to after acquiring the King's Ring.
- Wearing the ring prevents any stone enemies inside Drangleic Castle from coming to life.
- If the player positions the camera towards the entrance at the top of the stairs, they will see the Emerald Herald suddenly appear as soon as they pick up the ring.