Found in the Cemetery of Ash, near the entrance to Firelink Shrine. He is first found kneeling down and is immune to damage. Once the sword in his chest has been removed, he will rise and the battle will begin.
Once a champion, Gundyr arrived late to Firelink Shrine, and was greeted by a shrine without fire, and a bell that would not toll. Gundyr was bested by an unknown warrior, then became a sheath to the Coiled Sword in the hopes that someday, the First Flame would be linked once more. Gundyr thereby became a judge, awaiting the arrival of chosen ash to give onto them the Coiled Sword.
He received a special halberd, finely decorated and powerful that seemed to suggest what would have later been his everlasting duty and was restrained with a steel chain. By the time the Ashen One faced the iudex for the first time, the darkness within him bursted out during the fight, unable to be contained anymore and enraged: Gundyr will eventually be finished forever by the Champion of Ash.
Gundyr cannot be damaged until the Coiled Sword has been removed from his chest. Once done, he will begin to rise and is vulnerable to damage, even though his health bar won't appear until he has taken up his weapon. This allows the player to deal substantial damage at the beginning of the fight without Gundyr retaliating.
While his attacks seem menacing and aggressive, most of them have poor tracking, are very slow, and are also amply telegraphed. Retaining a medium distance from him will help to avoid his attacks accordingly. Rolling either behind him, through his attacks or both will allow the player to punish Gundyr with several hits at a time.
When about half of his health has been depleted, a gigantic Pus of Man will emerge from within his body and change the mechanics of the battle considerably. While impressive at first, this incarnation also suffers severely from poor tracking, although it does have a higher damage output.
Remaining behind Gundyr and rolling according to the attack he uses is an effective method for avoiding damage in this second half of the fight. Most of his attacks make him pause to recover, which allows the player to land successive attacks.
In keeping a long distance from Gundyr, he will become more aggressive. As such, backing too far away can result in Gundyr dealing great amounts of damage to an unprepared player.
- Gundyr can be parried and riposted during both phases of the fight.
- Gundyr can be staggered. Staggers cannot be followed by a riposte, but Instability damage will be inflicted for the duration of the animation.
- Despite appearing similar to the Pus of Man enemies, neither Phase 1 nor Phase 2 are weak to fire.
- In shooting Gundyr in the head with a bow during the brief period between him standing and his health bar appearing, Gundyr will be permanently frozen in place and unable to fight back. As such, he can be killed without any real fight.
- Iudex is Latin for "judge" and Gund is the old Germanic word for battle. This is an apt name for this boss as it guards the Coiled Sword and judges who is worthy to proceed to Firelink Shrine and bring the Lords of Cinder to their thrones.