The Firelink Shrine is located on a hill next to the Cemetery of Ash, surrounded by vast open space with mountains visible on horizon line. Multiple unnamed graves arise from surrounding terrain and the Shrine's interior. Partially decrepit and covered with dust and roots, it serves as the main hub for the player. Differently than in Dark Souls, in this game it is the only location where leveling up or upgrading weapons take place. Behind the Shrine a tower arises, containing useful items and accessible after obtaining Tower Key. At the top of Shrine's dome Nestling resides.
- Main article: Cemetery of Ash (bonfires)
This is a list of characters that either reside or will visit the shrine at some point, whether it is temporarily or to stay there for the rest of the game:
- Anri of Astora and Horace the Hushed
- Blacksmith Andre
- Found at the far end of the main hallway, in his own forge. Can upgrade and infuse weapons. Will accept any coals encountered throughout the player's journey.
- Cornyx of the Great Swamp
- Eygon of Carim
- Fire Keeper
- Found near the stairs leading to the Handmaid and Andre, or sitting across the bonfire. Welcomes the Ashen One into the shrine and allows them to spend any sovereignless souls they have collected to level up. Later on, after being given certain items, she will become able to reverse the player's hollowing and also let them choose one of the alternate endings of the game.
- Greirat of the Undead Settlement
- Hawkwood the Deserter
- Found near the entrance, sitting down on the stairs surrounding the bonfire. Will offer insight about the Undead Legion of Farron, from the lines which he deserted, and also gift the player with a few items as they progress through their journey. Will often leave that spot and go outside to pray at a grave located by following the right path from the shrine.
- Irina of Carim
- Can be found at the far end of the shrine's basement on the left wing (if looking from the entrance), near to Orbeck and Cornyx. Will accept both Divine Braille and Dark Braille tomes. After buying all miracles from the Divine Braille tomes, she will relocate to the tower near the other Fire Keeper bodies and become one herself, allowing the player to level up with her as well. If the player gives her any dark tomes, she will be taken by Eygon near the Iudex Gundyr bonfire. Interacting with her after killing Eygon will cause her to die.
- Ludleth of Courland
- Orbeck of Vinheim
- Can be accessed in two locations:
- The first is found by unlocking the decrepit tower located behind the shrine, climbing up the tower, and dropping down the bridge leading to the Fire Keeper Soul. Her nest lies at the middle of the shrine's roof.
- Found right below the first nest. From the shrine's roof, look for a skylight on the front of the shrine and follow the rafters toward the middle of the building to access the Nestling's secondary trading spot.
- Can be accessed in two locations:
- Ringfinger Leonhard
- Shrine Handmaid
- Sirris of the Sunless Realms
- Unbreakable Patches
- Can be found in the upper area leading to the tower. Acts as a merchant if the player refuses to forgive him after trapping them in the tower.
- Yoel of Londor
- Yuria of Londor
- Broken Straight Sword
- Covetous Silver Serpent Ring
- Ember (×2)
- Estus Shard
- Estus Ring
- East-West Shield
- Fire Keeper Soul
- Fire Keeper Set
- Homeward Bone (×5)
- Master's Set (drop: Sword Master)
- Soul of a Deserted Corpse / Soul of an Intrepid Hero
- Twinkling Titanite (drop: Crystal Lizard)
- Uchigatana (drop: Sword Master)
- Wolf Ring+2