A Fire Keeper is the guardian of a bonfire.
In Dark Souls, bonfires watched over by Fire Keepers are automatically kindled to provide ten Estus Flask charges each. Still they may be upgraded through the Rite of Kindling, just like other bonfires. All Fire Keepers drop a Fire Keeper Soul upon death, after which the bonfire is put out. Fire Keepers universally share the ability to upgrade Estus Flasks.
List of Fire Keepers and their bonfiresEdit
- Dark Souls
- Anastacia of Astora in Firelink Shrine
- Quelaag's Sister in Quelaag's Domain
- Darkmoon Knightess in Anor Londo
- Dark Souls II
- Dark Souls III
- Whether by chance or design, all Fire Keepers are female.
- All known Fire Keepers have some form of disability:
- Anastacia is mute until the player finishes Lautrec's questline, and even as she is revived and her tongue restored, she still remains forever imprisoned.
- Quelaag's Sister is physically warped by the Bed of Chaos, blind and ill.
- The Darkmoon Knightess is said to be concealing hideous swarms of humanity under her brass armor.
- The unnamed Fire Keeper from Dark Souls III is blind, although her vision can be restored through the Eyes of a Fire Keeper.
- It is hinted that the Emerald Herald in Dark Souls II is the last of the Fire Keepers.. However, Navlaan tells that she is not a Fire Keeper at all.
- In Ash Lake, upon arrival to the bonfire of the Stone Dragon, the fire itself is already lit and kindled, providing 10 Estus Flask charges. It is unknown if the Dragon is supposed to be a Fire Keeper, as it is never explained in game if Fire Keepers can be non-human.