The Demon Firesage is found in the Demon Ruins, down the staircase from the second bonfire and past the Taurus Demon present there. In order to enter the fog gate, the Lordvessel must have been placed at the Firelink Altar.
The Demon Firesage wields a Demon's Catalyst, a weapon formed from the molten rock of Lost Izalith. The demon itself is similar in appearance to the Asylum Demon and the Stray Demon. It has an almost draconic appearance, with black scales all over its body and a pair of stubby wings on its back. It sports a tail and horn-like growths portrude from its legs and arms. Dark red eyes are accompanied by a set of large teeth that are revealed by the demon's permanently exposed gums. Additionally, its entire body is engulfed in constant flames.
The individual who would come to be known as the Demon Firesage was regarded as the last master of the original fire arts, before his transformation. When the Witch of Izalith attempted to duplicate the First Flame using a Lord Soul, she accidentally created the Bed of Chaos: the mother and source of all subsequent demons. Afterwards, the Firesage came to reside in the Demon Ruins, the gateway to Lost Izalith.
The Demon Firesage is very similar in terms of moveset and attacks to the Stray Demon, so the same rules apply here: staying behind it and keeping a shield up should damage be unavoidable are good ideas. Be wary of its overhead attacks that are blockable, but deal heavy stamina damage.
Getting too far away from it will cause it to either leap at the player with its hammer, or do a straight down smash, which can take away a large chunk of stamina. Note that both of those attacks do not track, so with proper timing, one can easily roll through their smashes.
The Demon Firesage is highly susceptible to Bleed buildup.
- While its appearance is that of a huge demon coated in fire, none of its attacks actually deal Fire damage, and as such Fire resistant armor is unnecessary. The Demon Firesage also has unremarkable fire defense itself, making fire-based weapons effective.
- It is possible to skip the boss by being 2+ in the Chaos Servant covenant and using the shortcut to Lost Izalith.
Leaping Hammer Smash
If the player gets too far, the demon will cover a great distance very quickly after the starting animation.
Butt Slam [note 1]
It will fly up into the air to perform this attack.
It will only affect the area in front of it and being behind it is a safe zone.
Exploding Hammer Drive
It smashes its hammer into the ground. Affects the area all around it.
|Physical Defenses||Elemental Defenses||Resistances|
These stats are sourced from FuturePress's Official Dark Souls Strategy Guide.
- Like the Asylum Demon, the Demon Firesage shares its battle soundtrack with the Taurus Demon. It also shares its attacks with the Stray Demon.
- The in-game description for the Demon's Catalyst states that the Demon Firesage was "the first demon to ever exist, and before becoming a demon, was the last master of the original fire arts". However, the existence of Ceaseless Discharge gave doubt upon this statement. Later on, it was revealed indirectly by Miyazaki in an interview that the Demon's Catalyst was improperly translated; for it was Ceaseless that was actually the first Demon.
- Can deal bonus damage if the player is hit by the hammer as well.
- Dark Souls
- Demon's Catalyst description.
- As stated by Miyazaki in the DS1 Design Works interview: "All demons are born from the fire of chaos, but he [Ceaseless] was the first, born so long ago, when the fire wasn't yet stable. He possesses it, but he can't control it and it burns him constantly. Despite his size, he's actually the youngest of Izalith's children, he stands gazing up at the ruins where his sisters live. The only source of comfort in his pitiful, painful existence is the belief that they are watching over him."