- undead enemies that normally dwell in the dark, such as Hollows and Skeletons;
- corrupted by an Abyss like Aldrich, Devourer of Gods or Dragonslayer Armour;
- giants like Lorian, Elder Prince or Giant Slave;
- enemies using Dark magic like Darkeater Midir;
Dark damage is a common weakness amongs:
- "ancient" foes such as Silver Knights, Black Knights, Pontiff Knights or Winged Knights;
- enemies corrupted without an influence of the Abyss like Boreal Outrider Knight;
To lower Dark damage received, it is necessary to raise the Dark defense stat.
While leveling up any stat early on will grant Dark defense to some extent, Faith will increase it most efficiently.
- The Black Bug Pellet provides a temporary increase in Dark defense when consumed.
- Equipping the Dark Stoneplate Ring and, to a lesser extent, the Speckled Stoneplate Ring will boost Dark defense significantly.
- The Crest Shield offers the highest Dark damage reduction of the standard shields at 86 Dark defense.
- Havel's Greatshield and the Cathedral Knight Greatshield tie in having the highest Dark damage reduction of the greatshields, and any shield, at 87 Dark defense. Cathedral Knight Greatshield infused with Dark Gem and upgraded to +9 has over 99 Dark defense
- Armor sets with reasonably high Dark absorption are usually the light armor sets, such as the Cleric, Sorcerer Set, and the Pyromancer Set, which offers the highest of the starting sets. Others such as the Archdeacon Set and Court Sorcerer Set are good choices as well.
- While medium sets are generally not as efficient at defending against Dark damage, the Black Set and the Sunless Set are quite adequate choices.
- Lorian's Set, Smough's Set, the Catarina Set, and the Winged Knight Set are fine choices among the heavy armor sets, with the Winged Knight Set offering 31.284 Dark absorption, the highest of any full set.
- Weapons that are not elementally infused can deal Dark damage with the augmentation of a Human Pine Resin or with the miracle Dark Blade.
- With the addition of the Ringed City DLC, there is the Blindfold Mask, which increases Dark damage dealt but decreases Dark absorption.
- Infusing a weapon with a Deep Gem will imbue it with Dark damage, at the expense of all stat scaling effects.
- Weapons infused with a Dark Gem inflict Dark damage while scaling with the player's Faith and Intelligence.
- The Dark Hand is the only weapon in the base game that can deal inherent Dark damage. However, it cannot be infused or upgraded.
- A Deep Battle Axe can be obtained from the Mimic located in High Wall of Lothric.
- With the addition of the Ashes of Ariandel DLC, one can slay Sir Vilhelm to obtain the Onyx Blade, the first upgradable weapon that deals inherent Dark damage.
- With the addition of the Ringed City DLC, three new Dark weapons appear.
- The Dark Clutch Ring increases one's Dark attack by 15% at the cost of -10 physical absorption.
Invaders and NPCsEdit
- Londor Pale Shade
- Sir Vilhelm (AOA)
- Shira, Knight of Filianore
- Black Witch Zullie's phantom summoned by the Judicator Giants (TRC)