Lore[edit | edit source]
The Abyss is a realm of Dark born from Manus, the "Primeval Man" / "Father of the Abyss", the borders of which border the mortal world, while slowly absorb everything in its path; it is uninhabitable to all beings aligned with Fire including the Gods, as they require special equipment or protection to prevent corruption (both in the spiritual and physical sense). In contrast, any beings aligned with or are indifferent to the Abyss (such as Humans) are able to roam it with no risk of harm or corruption.
Knight Artorias famously traversed the Abyss and hunted the Darkwraiths therein. He was protected by the power of a magical ring, which he gained after making a covenant with the beasts there. The ring prevented him from being swallowed by the void, but it led to his sword becoming cursed. In recognition of his actions, he was awarded one of Anor Londo's treasures, a Silver Pendant that allowed him to repel Dark sorceries;eventually he traveled to Oolacile to combat the threat of Manus, but in saving his wolf companion Sif, he was overtaken by the dark.
Location[edit | edit source]
The Abyss is located at the end of the New Londo Ruins. To reach to the Abyss, the floodgates must be lowered and the Covenant of Artorias ring, a reward for killing Great Grey Wolf Sif, must be worn. After climbing down a spiral staircase within a tower, the path will abruptly end, making it necessary to descend into the darkness of the Abyss.
General information[edit | edit source]
Dropping into the Abyss will immediately trigger the area boss, the Four Kings, to spawn. After the Four Kings have been defeated, a bonfire will appear. At this point, the Abyss will cease being hostile, making the Covenant of Artorias ring useless.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to reach and kill the Four Kings by killing Ingward, even if the player hasn't acquired the Lordvessel yet.
- The bonfire that appears will allow warping to escape the Abyss, even without the Lordvessel.
- Although it appears to be a black void of nothingness, the "ground" of the abyss actually floats a few meters above an unseen cobblestone floor. This can be observed by using a light source, such as the Skull Lantern or Sunlight Maggot.
- Items that require hitting a surface to activate, such as Prism Stones and Carvings, will not work in the Abyss as they simply fall through the "floor".
Characters[edit | edit source]
Boss[edit | edit source]
Covenant[edit | edit source]
Notable items[edit | edit source]
Items[edit | edit source]
- Red Eye Orb (Darkstalker Kaathe - gift for Darkwraith +1)
Armor[edit | edit source]
- Dark Set (Darkstalker Kaathe - gift for Darkwraith +2)
Souls[edit | edit source]
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- Darksword (Darkstalker Kaathe - gift for Darkwraith +2)
- Dark Hand (Darkstalker Kaathe - gift for joining Darkwraiths)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Due to what was observed from Artorias, the phrase "falling into the Abyss" does not actually constitute entering it, but rather the near infinite and unconscious darkness of it seeking out lifeforms.
- This likely means that Wolnir was very much alive when he fell, which explains how he was able to teach grave wardens his pyromancy, though what exactly it really was that actually caused his death is uncertain.